St. Patrick’s Day is almost here. So we thought we would share one of our classic St. Pat’s projects—SHAMROCKS AND BLARNEY STONES!!!
Our Blarney Stones are made from breakfast treat cookies that have been cracked in half and coated in stone-grey tinted frosting. The Shamrocks are made from spearmint leaves candies rolled out in green decorating sugar. Be sure to make at least one FOUR LEAF CLOVER for a lucky guest!!
- 24 chocolate cupcakes baked in green paper liners
- 1 cup vanilla frosting
- green and black food coloring
- ½ cup green decorating sugars
- 24 spearmint leaves
- 6 breakfast treats
- 1 can (16 oz.) chocolate frosting
- 1 ½ cups ground chocolate cookies
- Tint ¼ cup of the vanilla frosting bright green. Spoon into a small freezer bag. Press out the air, seal and set aside.
- To make the blarney stones, break the breakfast treats into 12 small uneven pieces. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and place a wire rack on top.
- Tint the remaining ¾ cup vanilla frosting with a drop of black food coloring to make gray. Microwave in a 1 cup microwaveable measuring cup, stirring frequently, until it is the texture of lightly whipped cream, about 25 seconds total. Drop several breakfast treat pieces into the frosting and stir to coat completely. Use a fork to remove pieces, allowing the excess to drain back into the cup, and transfer to the prepared wire rack. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until set.
- To make the shamrocks, sprinkle the work surface with the green sugar. Press 2 spearmint leaves together and roll out with a rolling pin, coating with more sugar as necessary, to make a 4″ circle about 1/16″ thick. Repeat with the remaining spearmint leaves and sugar. Use a 1¼” heart shaped cookie cutter and cut out 3 heart shapes from each flattened disc. Cut a 1½” stem from the scraps. Reroll scraps and cut out an few additional hearts to make 4 leaf clovers. Pinch the pointed end of each heart shape to make the leaves.
- Spoon the chocolate cookie crumbs into a small shallow bowl. Spread the tops of the cupcakes with the chocolate frosting and smooth. Roll the edges of the cupcakes in the cookie crumbs. Arrange 3 to 4 green candy leaves on top of 12 of the cupcakes, pointed end in center. Add a green stem. Transfer 2 of the chilled gray dipped breakfast treats on top of each of the remaining cupcakes. Sprinkle with additional cookie crumbs. Snip a small (⅛”) corner from the bag with the green frosting. Pipe pulled dots to make patches of grass in random areas next to the blarney stones.
Our newest book Make It Easy, Cupcake! has over 100 SIMPLE 4-STEP DESIGNS that are just as easy and just as much fun as our ST PATRICK’S DAY CUPCAKES!
You can pre-order now and get delivery by June 7
Happy ST PATRICK’S DAY!!
Alan and Karen